Photo above: Mark Bennett
Trade group’s SMS course now available to HAI members at discounted rate.
The National Air Transportation Association (NATA), an HAI safety partner, represents the business interests of general aviation service companies in legislative and regulatory matters at the US federal level. The mission of the organization, established in 1940 and headquartered in Washington, D.C., is to empower its members to operate as safe, successful aviation businesses.
HAI recently teamed with NATA and the US Department of Transportation’s Transportation Safety Institute (TSI) to make NATA’s comprehensive safety management system (SMS) course available to HAI members at a discounted rate (see last paragraph below). The five-day course, offered through the TSI, guides participants through how to design, develop, implement, and sustain an effective and verifiable aviation SMS. It is recommended for all aviation service providers, from aircraft operators and maintenance providers to ground service suppliers and FBOs.
Designed to meet aviation businesses’ immediate and future safety needs, course topics include:
- The fundamentals of safety program management
- Safety risk management for flight and ground operations using the bowtie model
- Understanding and conducting internal and external evaluations and audits for safety assurance
- Communicating and promoting safety throughout the organization
- Fostering and measuring a positive safety culture
- Safety policy requirements
- Understanding and controlling human error using the HFACS model
- Measuring safety using quantum safety metrics
- Introduction to and how to use current FAA system tools.
HAI members who register for the NATA’s SMS course will receive the NATA Aviation Safety Program Manager certificate and are also eligible to earn the coveted NATA Air Transport Safety Manager certification.
HAI members receive special discounted pricing for the NATA SMS course, the next of which takes place Dec. 5–9, 2022, in Dallas, Texas. Additional course dates will be posted after the current course listing has passed. To receive HAI membership pricing, sign up through this portal: https://rotor.org/nata-sms-course.